CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said a 14-year-old shot another 14-year-old in the chest Thursday morning inside a home in east Charlotte.
Officers responded to an assault with a deadly weapon call around 10 a.m. at a home on Riding Trail Road near Albemarle Road and W.T. Harris Boulevard.
CMPD confirmed the teen victim was transported to a hospital with life-threatening injuries after being shot by a .40-caliber pistol.
The teen was visiting friends when the shooting happened.
"That's sad,” a neighbor told Channel 9. “That should not have happened."
The teens were acquaintances.
The alleged shooter was charged with assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury, possession of a handgun by a minor and possession of a stolen firearm.
Police said the gun used in the shooting was stolen.
No additional information has been released.
This is an ongoing investigation. Check back with wsoctv.com for updates.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- CMPD: 14-year-old shoots another 14-year-old inside east Charlotte home
- Missing Lincoln County woman last seen leaving with man
- Deputy bitten while responding to vicious pit bull attack in Union County, officials say
- FORECAST: Heavy rain, drastic warm-up lingers throughout day
- NCSBE could dissolve before resolving District 9 election fraud investigation
Cox Media Group