CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Police have identified a woman who was struck and killed by a car in University City last Thursday morning.
The crash happened just before 9 a.m. on University City Boulevard near Ikea Boulevard.
Officials said when officers arrived, they found 53-year-old Barbara Beverley Coleman unresponsive in the roadway. MEDIC transported Coleman to the hospital, where she later died from her injuries.
CMPD said an initial investigation revealed Coleman first crossed in front of a car in the right lane, but it was able to stop. Coleman continued to walk across University Boulevard and walked into a Chevrolet Trailblazer in the left lane.
Witnesses reported Coleman did not appear to be paying attention to traffic as she crossed the road.
Authorities said speed and alcohol were not factors for the driver of the Trailblazer.
Police said the area of University Boulevard is not marked or controlled for pedestrian crossing.
This is an ongoing investigation. Check back with wsoctv.com for more information.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 'God, I believe, placed me there': NC captain rescues girl who fell off float in ocean
- Handful of activists arrested after disrupting City Council meeting, Charlotte police say
- 16-year-old girl drowns in Gaston Co. river after slip, fall, officials say
- FORECAST: Sunshine, hot temps settle in after days of storms
- Woman taunts McDonald's employee for sleeping at work; turns out there's more to the story
© 2019 Cox Media Group.