CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Police have identified and charged a suspect after a 23-year-old man was found shot to death outside a southeast Charlotte apartment complex last month.
Police said Antoine Watkins, 23, shot Na-Zea Scott in the neck around midnight on Feb. 9 at an apartment complex on McAlway Road.
Dorothy Batts, who lives in the community, told Channel 9 reporter Stephanie Tinoco she found the body near her front door.
“He was laying on that step,” Batts said. “His head was up that way and his feet was down this way.”
Neighbors told Channel 9 they heard a gunshot, followed by someone yelling for an ambulance.
"I’m worried. I’m nervous,” Batts said. “Somebody can come back and try to do it again.”
Channel 9 was there as investigators used their flashlights to search the ground for evidence.
“We know that the victim walked outside and there were shots fired at that time, and people came outside and discovered him laying on the ground," said Maj. Gerald Smith, with the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department.
According to police, one witness has come forward, but they believe there are many others who may have important information about the case.
“This case, we believe there are more witnesses, seeing that this is an apartment complex and (there are) other apartment complexes across the street,” Smith said.
Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call 704-432-TIPS and speak directly to a Homicide Unit detective. Detective B. Sinnott is the lead detective assigned to the case. The public can also call Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600 or visit the Crime Stoppers website.
This is an ongoing investigation. Check back with wsoctv.com for updates.
© 2021 Cox Media Group