CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Police said that Jessica Sowell is in jail after reportedly causing a deadly crash in northwest Charlotte.
Detectives told Eyewitness News reporter Ken Lemon that Jessica Sowell also admitted to texting and driving.
PHOTOS: Mount Holly Road deadly crash scene
Family members of the victim, Casey Townsend, were shocked by the accident and are still working to inform family members across the country.
Townsend’s family’s major concern was why the driver was behind the wheel. Police said Sowell had previous drug charges and was in no shape to operate a vehicle.
“I had a friend who was driving behind her and she was all over the road,” said an eyewitness.
Investigators said that her car hit the Yukon driven by Townsend, who was pronounced dead on the scene.
Sowell suffered minor injuries and is now facing charges that include a misdemeanor death by motor vehicle, texting while driving and trafficking meth, marijuana, and heroin.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Surveillance photos of missing pregnant woman released
- Teen dragged from hammock by bear in NC mountains
- 5 things to know about Eric Casebolt, Texas officer in shocking pool party video
- Video: Texas police officer suspended after pulling gun on teen at pool party
- CMPD: Man killed in northwest Charlotte head-on crash