CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Someone tried to force open a woman’s window to get into her South End apartment, police said.
The windows and doors to apartments at the Colonial Reserve are right along the sidewalk on South Boulevard.
The victim told Channel 9 a man crept up through the bushes and started to pry her window open.
Tammy Smith’s daughter lives in the complex.
“It's very scary to think that would happen,” Smith said.
The attempted break-in happened at about 6 p.m. on Monday.
The man got the window open several inches but never made it in.
“Yeah, it's very alarming when you said that,” Smith told reporter DaShawn Brown. “I'm like, ‘Oh, my gosh. I need to tell my daughter.’”
>> Reading this story in our app? The new "Follow the Lead" feature allows you to tap the blue tag indicated with a '+' to subscribe to alerts on the very latest breaking news updates.
South End resident Dan Hinks wasn’t that shocked it happened in busy South End.
“With all the people around, there's stuff bound to happen, just given the numbers,” Hicks said.
The victim said the apartment complex agreed to cut down the bushes outside her apartment to help with visibility.
The police investigation is ongoing.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Horrified NC mom watches son, boyfriend drown as rip current drags them out to sea
- 1 killed, 2 others injured when car slams into pole on I-77 in Huntersville
- Mom of 5 slain South Carolina children sobs on stand at ex-husband's trial
- FORECAST: Short term relief from humidity before heat wave rolls in
- CMPD: Man caught moaning, peeping through woman's bedroom window
© 2019 Cox Media Group.