DA: CMPD officer who shot, killed man in August will not face charges

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — District Attorney Spencer B. Merriweather will not seek charges against a CMPD officer who shot and killed a man on Aug. 2 at a home in north Charlotte hours after police responded to the same house for a domestic violence call.

[PHOTOS: CMPD investigating deadly officer-involved shooting]

>> Download the WSOCTV news app for your smartphone and get updates on breaking stories as they come in.

Officials said Officer John Juhasz shot and killed 55-year-old Delano Williams early Friday morning at a home on Ernest Russell Court, just off Mallard Creek Road near Interstate 485.

Williams, who was armed, held two women against their will and fired a gun at least twice, hitting his sister-in-law in the leg, before she escaped the home, according to the DA's investigation.

Williams also pointed his weapon at his wife, the district attorney said.

Juhasz raised his gun from outside the home and fired three shots from 50 feet through a sliding glass door, striking Williams.

Williams' daughter called 911 after that.

Williams was taken to a hospital but later died.

The sister-in-law was also taken to a hospital and was OK.

Juhasz was not hurt but was taken to the hospital to be evaluated.

Witnesses’ accounts and body cam footage corroborated that Juhasz and people inside the home were in danger.

The police officer was justified using deadly force and his actions likely saved the life of Williams' wife, the district attorney said.

Police also investigated the case of domestic violence that took place inside the home and the events that led up to the deadly shooting.

According to CMPD Chief Kerr Putney, the incident began around 8 p.m. when someone called 911 about a domestic violence situation involving a man and a woman.

Police said Williams and his wife lived together and have children together, and they were in the process of separating.

[ALSO READ: Lawmaker explores bill to help domestic violence victims]

Officers said when they got to the house, Williams was not there, but they did speak with the woman.

Four hours later, just after midnight, Williams returned to the home, which was when the deadly officer-involved shooting took place.

Investigators said three teens were in the house at the time but ran outside. Williams' daughter called 911 and was on the phone with dispatchers when gunshots could be heard in the background.

She told police that her mother and aunt were still in the home and that her father pointed the gun at her aunt.

The chief said when officers arrived at the home around 12:15 a.m. they could hear gunshots coming from inside the house.

"About four hours later, we get another call for service -- this one, during the call even, you can hear a shot fired -- so our officers respond now to a shots fired call," Putney said. "They get here, they engage the suspect, who is armed. At some point during this encounter, the officer perceived an imminent lethal threat, fired the weapon at least once, striking the subject."

(WATCH BELOW: CMPD Chief Putney speaks with reporters following deadly shooting)

[‘He has a gun’: 911 calls released after man accused of firing shots at woman, kids]

When Juhasz got there, he found Williams in the back of the home, according to Putney. He said in August that the officer felt his life was in danger and fired a shot, hitting Williams.

Williams' gun was recovered at the scene, Putney said.

>> Reading this story in our app? The new "Follow the Lead" feature allows you to tap the blue tag indicated with a '+' to subscribe to alerts on the very latest breaking news updates. 

Eyewitness News crews watched as detectives roped off the area with crime scene tape and collected evidence from the house.

"We got to get to where we can resolve conflicts without grabbing a gun," the chief said.

Putney said police had not responded to any other major calls at the home in the past. He said it was out of character for this neighborhood and this house.

Internal Affairs conducted a separate investigation into the shooting, which is standard procedure with any officer-involved shooting.

Juhasz, who has worked with CMPD for a little over 2 years, was placed on paid administrative leave per department protocol.

This is an active investigation. Check back with wsoctv.com for updates.