Man charged in death of Charlotte mother faces judge

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Police have charged a man and a woman after a body found in west Charlotte was identified as a 21-year-old mother who had been reported missing two weeks ago.

Investigators found the body of Alexus Fraley around 1:45 a.m. Friday off Dixie River Road inside an abandoned building near Charlotte-Douglas International Airport property.

Investigators said she had been dead for some time.

“Unfortunately, it's not the outcome we were hoping for,” CMPD Capt. Chris Dozier said.

Police arrested 38-year-old Richard Jordan Jr. and 24-year-old Ashley Helms in the case.

Detectives said Jordan and Fraley knew each other, but would not elaborate on their relationship.

“They did know each other, and this was the result of an apparent dispute between the two,” Dozier said.

Investigators were tipped off to the location of Fraley's body by members of the community and believe a dispute between Jordan and Fraley led to her death. Officers have not said how she died.

Jordan was charged with murder and kidnapping.

Helms was found and arrested in North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. She is charged with murder, kidnapping and conspiracy to commit murder.

Police said they have to go through the courts to bring Helms back to Charlotte to face the murder charge.

Jordan faced a judge Monday and was given a court-appointed lawyer. A bond hearing is set for May 9. A probable cause hearing will be on May 21.

Channel 9 has learned this is not the first time Jordan has been charged with murder. In 2008, he was part of a group that took the lives of Jamie Gill and Kevin Cano in a shooting in uptown Charlotte.

He was not the triggerman, but drove the getaway car. He made a deal with prosecutors and testified against the other suspects. He pleaded guilty to accessory after the fact to first-degree murder and served nearly eight years in jail.

Gill’s mother told Channel 9 she’s heartbroken that Jordan is involved in another murder.

“I’m praying for her family,” she said.

Police first announced Thursday that Fraley, who had two children ages 1 and 2, might be in danger and they were looking for her.

Channel 9 found court records showing Jordan was arrested eight days earlier on suspicion of robbing Fraley on the same day she was reported missing.

Jordan was released two days later and was free until police arrested him again Friday morning.

Fraley’s mother told Channel 9 that her daughter called family members on April 13 around 3 a.m. and said she was on her way home, but she never came home.

Police said the investigation into Fraley's murder is active and ongoing.

Read more top trending stories on