CHARLOTTE, N.C. — In the wake of multiple school threats, Channel 9 checked in with Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools officials to find out what they're doing to keep students safe.
The district said each school has "unannounced" lockdown drills at least twice a year, and last week all principals were asked to update their school safety plans.
CMS board Vice Chairwoman Rhonda Cheek told Channel 9 that all schools are engaged in the conversation, and the district is looking beyond lockdown drills.
"Something that the superintendent mentioned in our budget meeting the other day (is) that they are looking at active shooter training," Cheek said.
Channel 9 learned that one school is already taking steps in that direction. Hough High School, in partnership with the Cornelius Police Department, recently showed students a video where they were taught three options in an active shooter situation: run, hide or fight.
Cheek said that recent school threats present a golden opportunity for parents, area leaders and mentors to talk to students about the severity of making such threats.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Woman whose bones were found in home's walls likely fell to death through attic floor, police say
- Hit-and-run leads to 4 arrests, shootout at UNCC campus, officials say
- 14-year-old armed robbery suspect arrested after pursuit, school lockdowns
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Saturday forecast outlook
- FINAL CRUSADE: Rev. Graham's children carry on his holy message
Cox Media Group