HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. — An unusual sight in Huntersville has brought people in the community together: a weed growing out of a traffic cone.
The Huntersville Fire Department has been posting updates about the weed. It has been growing all year long on Beatties Ford Road across from Huntersville Station #2.
At the beginning of November, the weed was decorated with some lights and tinsel. Then a couple of days later someone else added presents around the Cone Weed. On Monday night, someone placed a “Merry” sign next to the cone.
The Cone Weed has become somewhat of an attraction now in Huntersville, with people posting pictures with it on social media with the hashtag #OneTownOneWeed
Madeline Phillips has no idea why her son didn't mow the weed down over the summer, how a cone got on top of it or who decorated tall twigs for the holiday season.
“It's a mystery,” she said.
Phillips believes it's there for a purpose.
“If it is just for that one person who needs it through the holidays, then that's who it is for,” she said.
A local graphic designer has also designed Cone Weed shirts, where 100 percent of the proceeds will go toward HopeMatch.org, a local charity that serves those in need.
More than $3,700 has been raised.
A donor has also promised to match all proceeds up to $10,000.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 2 Charlotte Country Day coaches fired following fight on school campus
- Concord police identify man shot to death in backyard; no arrests made
- Woman fights off attacker who tried to sexually assault her, police say
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Thursday forecast outlook
- Charles Manson in hospital, reportedly in grave condition
- #ConeWeed: Decorated traffic cone weed brings smiles to Huntersville
Cox Media Group