CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Officials said Statesville Road at Interstate 85 was shut down Thursday after a crash involving a power pole.
Statesville Road was closed in both directions just before 12 p.m. with power lines downed across the roadway. The ramp from Interstate 85 southbound was also closed.
Chopper 9 Skyzoom flew over the scene and saw a black vehicle on its side.
Officials said police had already responded to that crash, when a FedEx truck drove through the intersection, taking down the power lines.
“Tires spun and then it crashed into the pole,” witness Gregory Weaver said. “It smashes into the pole here, and it dropped the first set of lights.”
Chopper 9 Skyzoom could see the lines on top of a police car and the truck.
The injured truck driver was taken to a hospital and is expected to be OK.
The Charlotte Fire Department said drivers should expect significant delays in the area.
NCDOT said the road is expected to reopen around 6 p.m. Thursday.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Major changes coming to southern stretch of I-485
- Director of human resources for Richmond County charged with trafficking opium
- Husband questioned after body believed to be missing NC woman found
- FORECAST: Highs near 70 and dry before wet weather swings in Friday
- CMPD hands out messages to remind families they do not enforce immigration laws
© 2019 Cox Media Group.