Uptown restaurant fire caused $1.5 million in damage; ruled accidental

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Investigators said a fire at a restaurant in the heart of uptown Charlotte that forced the evacuation of a high-rise building Monday afternoon was accidental and caused $1.5 million in damage.

The fire started around 2:45 p.m. Monday on North College Street and reached the second floor of the Bank of America high-rise.

The Charlotte Fire Department said when crews got to the restaurant, heavy smoke was showing. Officials said 65 firefighters responded to the fire.

Witnesses said it was the restaurant inside, Roosters, where the fire started. People working in the offices told Eyewitness News anchor Genevieve Curtis they started to smell smoke and there were voluntary evacuations. They eventually became mandatory evacuations for the entire building.

In viewer video sent to Channel 9, you can see the streets of uptown filling with smoke as people are walking away from the area.

(WATCH: Viewer video shows smoke filling street after fire at uptown restaurant)

From Chopper 9 SkyZoom, we could see dozens of fire trucks and several ladder trucks lining the street around the high-rise building.

No one was hurt in the fire, but firefighters helped six people evacuate the building.

Authorities added no firefighters were injured fighting the blaze, but they had to take into account the heat when calling for more firefighters to the scene. MEDIC was on scene to monitor the crews and to help keep them hydrated.

The fire was ruled to be accidental and started in the kitchen hood system, fire investigators said.

Officials said College Street between 4th Street and 5th Street were closed while crews worked the scene.

(WATCH: Viewer video shows smoke filling street and dozens of people walking away from the area after fire at uptown restaurant)

No other information has been released.

This is an ongoing investigation. Check back with wsoctv.com for more information.