ROWAN COUNTY, N.C. — Crews responded to a 2-alarm fire Monday night at Southern Power in Rowan County.
A spokesperson for Southern Power issued the following statement:
At approximately 11 p.m. ET on Monday, a transformer fire occurred affecting Plant Rowan Unit 1. Employees at the plant contacted first responders, who extinguished the fire before midnight. All plant personnel are safe and accounted for. The entire plant was taken offline as a precaution when the fire occurred, and the facility remains offline in a safe condition as we investigate the cause.
Check back with wsoctv.com for updates on this story.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Police shoot, kill man during standoff at west Charlotte convenience store
- HGTV's 'Love It Or List It' sued by North Carolina couple
- 3-year-old girl dies after falling from ATV in Union County
- Police searching for Charlotte teen missing since Saturday
- High school band director accused of sex assault to face judge
- Common allergy medications could damage brain, increase dementia risk study finds
Cox Media Group