• Investigators: Battery jumper box sparked body shop fire

    By: Trish Williford

    Updated:

    CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Dozens of firefighters responded to the scene of a fire that destroyed a body shop in northeast Charlotte Wedneday night.

    Officials said Thursday the cause of the fire was an unattended battery jumper box charging a vehicle in the shop area. The damage was estimated at $115,000.

    Flames broke out at Lopez Body Shop on Atando Avenue, just off North Tryon Street, around 8:30 p.m. and it firefighters were able to extinguish the fire within an hour. There were no reported injuries.

    As firefighters were battling the blaze, they noticed one of the firefighters was unaccounted for. 
     
    That's when they set off a third alarm for the fire and searched for him.
     
    “We evacuated the building. The tones were sounded, everyone came outside. That firefighter was quickly located and accounted for and we resumed firefighter operations,” said Capt. Dennis Gist with the Charlotte Fire Department.
     
    The road was shut down after the blaze.

    Check back with wsoctv.com for updates on this story.

    Next Up:


  • Headline Goes Here

    Investigators: Battery jumper box sparked body shop fire

  • Headline Goes Here

    Bill Cosby found guilty in sexual assault trial

  • Headline Goes Here

    Arrest made more than year after elderly man found dead inside home

  • Headline Goes Here

    NC Highway Patrol using ‘ghost cars'

  • Headline Goes Here

    Suspected 'Golden State Killer' identified as ex-cop decades after…