Docs forced to surgically remove toy beads from girl who swallowed them

Docs forced to surgically remove toy beads from girl who swallowed them

CHARLOTTE — A mother posted online an X-ray of her 7-year-old daughter who swallowed four magnetic beads.

The girl had to get the toy surgically removed.

Content Continues Below

North Carolina Poison Control director Dr. Michael Beuhler said magnetic beads could be deadly because once inside the body, the beads could tear into the intestines.

“The magnets touch and drill through your intestine and it will make you sick and children can die from this,” Beuhler said.

The beads, known as Buckyballs, were recalled years ago, but after new packaging they’re back on the market.

Action 9: 11-year-old boy warns others after swallowing magnetic ball

Doctors told Channel 9 it's not only the toys that are dangerous, the small lithium batteries that come with them can do damage, as well

As an example, a lithium battery was put inside a hot dog.

After one hour, the battery burned the hot dog.

State Poison Control: 800-222-1222

Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com: