HICKORY, N.C. - All eyes are on this system set to bring a wintry mix over the weekend.
Don't let the sunshine fool you, the mountains will receive some snow and other counties can expect cold rain.
>> Reading this story in our app? The new "Follow the Lead" feature allows you to tap the blue tag indicated with a '+' to subscribe to alerts on the very latest severe weather updates.
Road crews in the mountains are hoping warm weather pushes in from the south to keep the snow totals down.
>> Remember, you can watch our radar anytime at home on Roku, Amazon Fire and Apple TV.
Although the upcoming storm is much different from the one in December, the Department of Transportation has restocked its salt bins and will have extra workers on hand to be ready for whatever falls in the foothills.
Watch the video above to hear what Channel 9's Dave Faherty learned about the precautionary steps road crews in the foothills are taking to prepare for the winter storm.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Pair arrested for squatting in Davidson home accused of squatting in Charlotte house
- Dirty dishes, roaches among more than a dozen violations reported at popular uptown restaurant
- 16-year-old charged in Huntersville head-on crash that killed woman, 2 dogs
- WATCH: Severe Weather Center 9's Friday forecast outlook
- 'It's what we prayed for': Jayme Closs' relatives relieved after Wisconsin teen found safe
© 2019 Cox Media Group.