CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Providence Road completely reopened Thursday nearly 15 hours after a tree fell on the road, which blocked traffic during both morning and evening commutes.
The tree also took down power lines close to the intersection where Sardis Road turns into Fairview Road.
Traffic started to flow late afternoon, but it wasn't until about 9:30 p.m. when CMPD said all lanes were back open.
Utility crews continued to make repairs to power lines throughout the day.
The tree fell around 7 a.m. near Christ Lutheran Church, and officers had Providence blocked between Fairview Road and International Drive.
With such a large section of Providence Road closed during morning rush hour, major traffic delays began to form in the area early in the morning.
Christ Lutheran Church administrator Gregg Huether told Channel 9's Gina Esposito that it took him 80 minutes to travel 7 miles during his morning commute.
He said all daytime programs at the church have been canceled, but the church daycare will remain open.
"Parents are bringing children to the daycare. I would just tell them to be very, very cautious. I would say don’t come unless you know it's safe to get here," said Huether.
It was raining heavily in the area at the time, but officials have not said if weather played a role in the tree falling.
No injuries were reported, but Channel 9 crews saw a car that seemed to have been hit by the huge tree. Esposito spoke with the woman who was inside the car when the tree fell. She said she was not hurt but that her car was damaged.
"I'm OK. I'm blessed to be alive," she said.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Atrium Health, feds settle antitrust lawsuit over health care costs
- Missing Mooresville teacher killed in Mexico, according to Facebook post
- Toppled tree blocks Providence Road 'indefinitely' in south Charlotte
- WINTER STORM WARNING: Wintry mix hits mountains; cold rain across Charlotte
- 12-year-old writes heartbreaking goodbye letter to family during school lockdown
- Death investigation underway after man found dead inside car in east Charlotte
Cox Media Group