HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. - Emergency crews worked for hours to remove a school bus that crashed down an embankment early Friday morning in Huntersville.
Officials said the driver of the CMS bus, which was serving Barnette Elementary School, swerved to avoid a deer around 6 a.m. on Poplar Tent Road just before Highway 73 and ran off the roadway, crashing into the woods.
Authorities said no students were on board at the time, and that the driver was not hurt.
The road remained open but had to temporarily close around 8 a.m. while crews removed the bus.
Check back with wsoctv.com for updates on this story.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- BB&T outage leaves angry customers without access to accounts, cash
- Duke, UNC, NC State named in federal NCAA basketball investigation
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Friday forecast outlook
- Charlotte man to serve 2 years in prison for killing girlfriend
- Rev. Graham's body to 'lie in honor' at US Capitol before Charlotte funeral
© 2018 Cox Media Group.