IREDELL COUNTY, N.C. — A woman died in a single-vehicle crash Tuesday in Iredell County, authorities confirmed.
Troopers said a Ford Explorer was traveling east on I-40 near mile marker 157 at Old Mocksville Road when its back right tire blew out and the driver lost control of the SUV, which ran off the road, overturned three times and struck a tree.
A passenger was transported to Wake Forest Medical Center by ground, officials said, while the driver, 55-year-old Brenda Smith McCrary, was pronounced dead at the scene.
Investigators said that speed wasn't a factor in the crash and that everyone in the SUV had been wearing a seat belt.
The crash is under investigation.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Monroe police officers save family from burning home
- Driver dies after losing control, hitting tree when tire blows out in Iredell County
- North Carolina considers asking dead to pay back extra benefits
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Tuesday forecast outlook
- Famed NASCAR driver enjoys busy 2017, looks ahead to future
Cox Media Group