CATAWBA COUNTY, N.C. - A driver was killed early Wednesday when his speeding car crashed into a power pole before careening into a tree in Catawba County, according to the Highway Patrol.
The crash happened just before 5 a.m. on Saint James Church Road, near Maiden.
Breaking Catawba County- the highway patrol has confirmed this is a fatality. pic.twitter.com/0Xcp5SeuAh— Dave Faherty (@FahertyWSOC9) October 9, 2019
Troopers told Channel 9 Aaron Lineberger was speeding down the road when his car slammed into a power pole, spun out and then hit a tree.
Lineberger, who was the only person in the car, was pronounced dead at the scene.
Investigators said they believe speed was a factor in the crash which knocked out power to several homes nearby.
>> Download the WSOCTV news app for your smartphone and get updates on breaking stories as they come in.
Duke Energy crews worked on fixing the downed lines and the road was closed near Ellick Drive for about three hours.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Man killed when speeding car hits power pole, tree, troopers say
- CAUGHT ON CAMERA: Drivers go around railroad crossing arms in Waxhaw
- Former Wells Fargo employee swindled elderly man out of $800K
- FORECAST: Partly cloudy skies, mild temps but still no rain in sight
- Family says it warned hospital of doctor accused of child sex crimes
© 2019 Cox Media Group.