CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Police said busy road in east Charlotte has reopened hours after emergency crews had to close it when a vehicle crashed into a utility pole, snapping it.
Eastway Drive was blocked in both directions just south of The Plaza after an SUV crashed into the pole around 7 a.m Monday. The impact also brought power lines down across the road.
Channel 9 crews could see the silver SUV on its side up against the pole. Another car was also heavily damaged.
Duke Energy was reporting more than 120 outages in the area, and restoration wasn’t expected to be completed until 11 a.m.
Police said Eastway Drive would be closed between Weldon Avenue and Commerical Avenue, and were asking drivers to avoid the area.
Paramedics said three people were taken to the hospital with potentially life-threatening injuries.
Police are still investigating what caused the crash.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Drugs, weapons found in raid at illegal strip club inside Iredell Co. home, police say
- Super Bowl commercials 2019: 10 must-see ads from the big game
- $300K damage to south Charlotte home after fire intentionally set, officials say
- FORECAST: Warming trend will see temps approach 80 degrees by midweek
- Sheriff: Case of missing baby, mother was scheme for donations
© 2019 Cox Media Group.