Electrical issue blamed for fire that caused $225K in damage at Charlotte strip mall

CHARLOTTE — The Charlotte Fire Department said an electrical issue at a Mexican grocery store caused $225,000 in damage at an east Charlotte strip mall.

The fire happened around 3 a.m. Tuesday along Central Avenue at Eastcrest Drive, near Plaza Midwood.

First responders told Channel 9 they could see heavy smoke and flames coming from the roof when they arrived.

No one was hurt, but many business owners will have to close their store for days while they cleanup from the smoke and water damage.

“We all know each other,” said Pamela Cruz. She owns Adamary’s Restaurant at the end of the complex with her family.

“Everyone puts a lot of effort in their small business. And, for something like that to come, you know, it’s really devastating,” she said.

Right now, many of the business owners are trying to recuperate what they can.

(WATCH: Lightning strike believed to be cause of house fire in Ballantyne Country Club, officials say)