CHARLOTTE, N.C. - It took crews hours to repair a gas leak Wednesday evening in South End.
The Charlotte Fire Department said a gas line ruptured around 5 p.m. on South Caldwell Street near South Boulevard.
Chopper 9 Skyzoom flew over the area where crews worked to fix the line.
A third-party construction crew cut a Piedmont Natural Gas line, a PNC spokesperson said.
South Caldwell Street in South End was closed until midnight as crews made repairs.
Officials said there were multiple reports of a strong gas smell in the area, but no threat.
Residents and business owners near the gas leak told Channel 9 reporter Brianna Harper the noise from the initial eruption and the smell were distinct.
Strawn Tower -- a senior living community -- is right next to where the line break happened.
There was a “really strong gas odor and with me having a breathing problem and so forth, it’s a good thing my friend came and told me because I was laid up in my apartment,” resident Bryant Phillips said.
He was one of several residents who spent hours outside Wednesday evening as a precaution.
Check back with wsoctv.com for updates.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Statesville tries to stop RV dealership from flying massive American flag
- Driver charged after deadly crash with bus carrying preschoolers in Stanly Co.
- 'You're in a panic': Charlotte family shaken after road rage incident
- FORECAST: Mild temps provide short term relief as heat wave approaches
- Sting operation nets 14 accused of stealing from Matthews Lowe's
© 2019 Cox Media Group.