BURKE COUNTY, N.C. — Emergency crews in Burke County told Channel 9 they responded to an ultralight plane crash Saturday evening.
Officials were called to Foothills Regional Airport in Morganton just before 5:30 p.m. where the plane apparently crashed just off the runway.
Witnesses said the plane stalled shortly after takeoff, before crashing.
The ultralight was heavily damaged and state troopers said the pilot, 20-year-old Jamie Lee Harris, of Newland, was the only person on board. He was transported to the hospital with injuries to his arm and leg.
Troopers said Harris was wearing a helmet during the flight, and that he had put the ultralight together Saturday afternoon at the airport.
Check back with wsoctv.com for updates.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Georgia news anchor falls to death from NC waterfall
- Man charged in deadly crash following police chase in Gastonia
- CMPD investigating murder-attempted suicide in east Charlotte
- Rock Hill boy starts foundation after kids tease classmate about old clothes
- Troopers: Driver killed after slamming into tree in York County
Cox Media Group