YORK, S.C. — Firefighters were battling a scrap yard fire Monday morning near downtown York.
The fire broke out at Custom Recycling on Hunter Street near the downtown area.
The York fire chief told Channel 9 that the department planned to do a reverse 911 call to people near downtown to alert them about heavy smoke from the blaze.
Authorities said the fire was contained, but not out yet.
Officials with the York School District said students at Hunter Street Elementary were having an indoor recess out of an abundance caution.
Channel 9 is asking officials what started the fire.
Check back with wsoctv.com for updates on this story.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Man accused of killing 3-year-old NC girl to make first court appearance
- CMPD identifies man shot, killed in city's 81st homicide of 2017
- Person airlifted after hunting accident near Morganton
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Monday forecast outlook
- One arrested after brawl during ACC Championship game
- Affidavit: Florida teen was afraid to leave country with former coach
Cox Media Group