• Gastonia homeowner says gas leak caused house explosion

    By: Alan Cavanna

    Updated:

    GASTONIA, N.C. - A Gastonia homeowner said a gas leak caused his house to explode.

    That homeowner told firefighters he walked into the house and smelled propane. As soon as he left, he said, the gas ignited, starting a massive fire.

    Firefighters said the man had a 100-gallon propane tank inside his home.

    "If you're using portable heaters and such," department spokesman Jim Landis said, "make sure they've been serviced and they don't leak. In this case, the man did the right thing, smelled the propane gas and got out of his house."

    The homeowner escaped major injury, but did go to the hospital as a precaution.

    Next Up:


  • Headline Goes Here

    Gastonia homeowner says gas leak caused house explosion

  • Headline Goes Here

    13-year-old dies after being hit by car in north Charlotte

  • Headline Goes Here

    1 fatally shot inside Salisbury arcade

  • Headline Goes Here

    Prominent Charlotte eye doctor accused of cocaine use

  • Headline Goes Here

    North Korea says it will suspend nuclear and missile testing