• Investigators: Exhaust fan sparked overnight house fire

    Updated:

    CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Firefighters responded to an overnight house fire in southeast Charlotte early Wednesday morning – and have determined it was started by an overheated exhaust fan in a bathroom.

    The flames broke out around 3:15 a.m. at a home on Dorn Circle. There was stormy weather in the area at the time but officials have ruled out a lightning strike as the culprit.

    Firefighters said the fire was mainly contained to the attic and that one person was home at the time.

    That person smelled the smoke and called 911.

    A hydrant was right across the street from the home which helped firefighters quickly put the fire out.

    Two firefighters were treated on scene after getting some debris in their eyes but were OK.

    Sign up for breaking news alerts, click here.

    Next Up:


  • Headline Goes Here

    Investigators: Exhaust fan sparked overnight house fire

  • Headline Goes Here

    TORRENTIAL SHOWERS: Heavy downpours cause flash flooding in area

  • Headline Goes Here

    Broken pipe dumped 15.4 million gallons of sewage into Charlotte creek

  • Headline Goes Here

    2 alleged members of gang known to target moms arrested in Matthews

  • Headline Goes Here

    Senate postpones hearing for Trump VA pick Ronny Jackson amid 'serious…