CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Firefighters said an accidental cooking fire caused a 2-alarm fire at an east Charlotte apartment complex early Monday morning.
The fire happened around 6 a.m. at the Ashby Point Apartments off Teal Point Drive, near Central Avenue and North Sharon Amity Road.
When firefighters arrived at the complex, they saw smoke coming from the building and several people on the grass outside. They said other people were still trapped on a higher level of the building so they needed to do rescues.
Firefighters told reporter Gina Esposito MEDIC treated three people for smoke inhalation.
MEDIC said one person was transported to the hospital and two were released after they were evaluated.
Officials said the damage was estimated at $14,000.
The Red Cross is responding to help those impacted by the fire.
This is an ongoing investigation. Check back with wsoctv.com for more information.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Person dies after jet ski crash on Lake Norman, officials say
- Crews responding to crash involving NC trooper on motorcycle in west Charlotte
- NC father killed after wave off Oak Island broke neck to donate organs
- FORECAST: Last day of heat wave before cold front, storms move in
- Deputies: 4-wheeler rider shot, killed after reportedly running two people over
© 2019 Cox Media Group.