GASTON COUNTY, N.C. — Fire investigators said a deadly house fire in Gastonia Tuesday morning was accidental.
Crews were called to the home on Cooks Lake Road, off Beaty Road, just after 10 a.m.
Officials were initially treating the investigation as a suspicious death as a precaution but later said there was no evidence of arson or foul play.
Police identified the victim as 68-year-old Wanda Hurst.
Much of the fire damage was contained to the inside of the home, with some visible smoke damage above some windows on the front of the house.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Lake Tahoma dam in 'imminent danger' of failing; evacuations ordered
- Baby reported kidnapped found dead in diaper box, mother in custody
- Woman that hit, killed pedestrian in Matthews charged with DWI
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Wednesday morning forecast
- Fatal crash blocks I-485 ramp to I-77 for hours in south Charlotte
Cox Media Group