Dog dies in early morning house fire in Steele Creek neighborhood

Dog dies in early morning house fire in Steele Creek neighborhood
Festiva Court house fire (Nowacki, Matt (CMG-Charlotte)/WSOC)

CHARLOTTE — A dog died and one person was displaced when flames ripped through a home early Friday in the Steele Creek area of southwest Charlotte.

Dozens of firefighters were called around 6 a.m. to the house on Festiva Court, off Brown Grier Road and Steele Creek Road.

Content Continues Below

The first crews on the scene reported heavy flames shooting from the roof. Channel 9 could see flames smoldering from the roof, which appeared to be gone.

Festiva Court house fire
Festiva Court house fire (WSOC)

The fire department said it took 23 firefighters about 30 minutes to get the fire under control.

Investigators said the fire accidentally started in the garage and that a dog died.

The blaze caused roughly $50,000 in damage to the home.

Check back with wsoctv.com for updates on this story.

Massive fire rips through Monroe church