FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. - A Fort Bragg soldier is being called a hero after he ran toward the sound of gunshots while pumping gas last weekend.
Private First Class Patrick Montgomery was at a Fayetteville gas station when he heard the shots at a nearby pawn shop.
He said he followed a trail of blood and found a worker inside the shop who had been shot.
Montgomery used a "power cord" for a tourniquet to slow down the bleeding until EMS arrived.
"It probably wasn't smart going up there, but he probably would've been dead if I didn't," Montgomery said.
The worker is expected to make a full recovery. Police are still looking for the shooter.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Troopers: Twin teenage boys killed in high-speed crash in Union County
- No arrests made after man shot, pulled from burning car in northeast Charlotte
- Police: 2 men caught raping woman at Myrtle Beach shopping center
- FORECAST: Schools closed, slick conditions in mountains; chilly temps in Metro
- Concord mayor pro tem resigns after September arrest in Folly Beach
© 2019 Cox Media Group.