HICKORY, N.C. — A section of northbound U.S. Route 321 is reopen in Hickory Tuesday morning after a truck filled with frozen food caught fire and closed the roadway.
The incident happened near the Interstate 40 interchange, officials said.
Eyewitness News reporter Dave Faherty captured video at the scene shortly after 9 a.m.
Firefighters said they believe the fire started when the truck's brakes overheated.
With temperatures around 10 degrees, officials with the North Carolina State Highway Patrol asked the state Department of Transportation to put down sand and salt in the roadway where water from the fire froze.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Carrie Underwood tells fan club that she injured face in fall, needed 40-50 stitches
- Frozen food truck catches fire, closes part of Highway 321 in Hickory
- Duke Energy: Thousands without power in Charlotte, Mooresville
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Tuesday forecast outlook
- Coldest morning of the season prompts school delays
- Woman discovers small child stranded in the middle of the night
Cox Media Group