• Gastonia FD: House fire started in kitchen causes $10,000 in damage


    GASTONIA - The Gastonia Fire Department responded to a structure fire at 1415 Rankin Ave. on Sunday afternoon.

    Firefighters arrived on the scene of a one-story home with smoke showing from the front.

    They entered the house and found a fire in the kitchen that had spread to the walls and attic.

    Gastonia firefighters had the fire put out in about 10 minutes and had a total of 20 personnel on the scene. No injuries were reported, and fire damages are estimated at $10,000. The fire started on the stove.

    The Red Cross will provide assistance for displaced occupants.

    Officials recommend the public follow a few guidelines while preparing meals. First, keep anything that can catch fire --such as oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging and towels -- away from the stove top.

    Always stay in the kitchen while frying, grilling or boiling food. If you have to leave the kitchen, turn off the stove. Last, officials advise when simmering, baking, roasting or boiling food, check it regularly and remain in the home while cooking. Use a timer as a reminder.

    If you have a cooking fire leave the house and call 911. Keep a lid nearby when cooking to smother small grease fires. For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.

    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Gastonia FD: House fire started in kitchen causes $10,000 in damage

  • Headline Goes Here

    Zootastic visitor recalls chaos after large tree fell on wagon

  • Headline Goes Here

    Cam Newton surprises Special Olympics athletes with shopping spree

  • Headline Goes Here

    CMPD gets last chance to raise issue about pay increase

  • Headline Goes Here

    Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge, gives birth to baby boy