OAK ISLAND, N.C. — A girl is recovering after apparently being bitten by a shark off Bald Head Island over the weekend.
The attack happened Sunday, around 10:30 a.m.
According to Brunswick County 911 dispatch logs released Monday, the female swimmer was standing on a sandbar in shallow water when she was bitten on her right calf by a possible shark.
Several people called 911 after witnessing the incident.
“I work on the beach here as a surf instructor, so I just saw it happen,” one witness who called 911 said. “She was on the sandbar and she screamed, and her dad automatically picked her up."
The girl was brought back to shore on a surfboard and is expected to be OK.
Officials believe it was a juvenile shark that bit the girl.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Girl bitten by shark while on sandbar off North Carolina coast
- Woman dies after firefighters pull her from burning Lincolnton home
- Sheriff: South Carolina woman left newborn in trash bag in car
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Tuesday forecast outlook
- Lowe's donates new lawnmower to boy robbed at lemonade stand
Cox Media Group