NORTH TOPSAIL BEACH, N.C. - A middle school student on spring break found a pretty rare treasure on North Topsail Beach.
The girl said she stumbled upon a megalodon tooth while she was looking around in the sand.
The megalodon went extinct millions of years ago and was the largest shark ever documented.
She said her family searches for shark teeth every time they're on the beach.
They found five other shark teeth while looking through the sand, including some great white shark teeth.
The girl said she plans to tell her class in Raleigh about it when she gets back from spring break.
The prehistoric tooth could be up to almost 3 million years old.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Investigators in hazmat suits called to Mooresville home where 2 men died
- Armed robbers terrorize store employees at The Arboretum
- ‘Glass exploded in my face': Road rage victim says he has guardian angel
- FORECAST: Humidity arrives Thursday; severe weather on the horizon
- Woman beats underwear-clad man with bat after she finds him breaking into car
© 2019 Cox Media Group.