CHARLOTTE, N.C. — A demonstration is was held outside the Mecklenburg County courthouse Monday aimed at the district attorney's office.
The group is protesting the cost of a second chance for first-time offenders.
Protesters said they are upset with the way deferred prosecution is administered.
Members of the Charlotte Clergy Coalition for Justice and the NAACP held a news conference calling for the district attorney to reduce fees associated with the program
Last month, Channel 9 told you about the story of Rahman Bethea who was charged with theft.
It's his only mistake and because he was $900 short he could not qualify for deferred status.
Deferred status gives first-time offenders a second chance.
If they complete the program, their record is scrubbed which means they can get a job or go to school.
Rev. Rodney Sadler said getting equal justice should not depend on how much money you have.
"The courts have a middle-class standard and when poor people get caught in that system they get ground up we need to find a way for poor people to have adequate access to the division program," Sadler said.
- Woman attacked outside Amelie's in NoDa, police said
- Driver killed after slamming into tree in Lancaster County
- FORECAST: Soggy Monday on tap ahead of temperature dip
- Body of small child discovered during search for missing 3-year-old
- Defense attorney collapses, dies during closing arguments in murder trial
- Liquid sprayed at SC grocery store confirmed as fecal matter
Cox Media Group