SHELBY, N.C. — A high school senior died after she lost control of her car and crashed into a tree in Shelby, officials said.
Elizabeth Drum died Tuesday afternoon in the wreck on South Lafayette Street, Channel 9’s news partners at the Shelby Star reported.
Troopers said Drum’s car ran off the side of the road and she overcorrected.
Eck Hollyfield heard the crash from his home and said there have been several wrecks here during heavy rainstorms.
"Water spans across the road up there,” Hollyfield said. “Over the years there, it has happened several times, four or five times in my yard."
The Department of Transportation said they were unaware of problems there but said they will launch an investigation into whether water does pond on the roadway.
Drum's classmates at Crest High School will wear red and orange in her honor Wednesday.
"She's going to be a part of it, still with the ceremony and with us," student Nikki McDaniel said.
"She is still part of the class of 2016,” friend LeeAnn Hubbard said. “She is still our friend and I hope she is smiling down at us like she smiled every day."
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- CRF Frozen Foods recalls all frozen fruits and vegetables for listeria risk
- Deputies investigating early morning shooting in Salisbury
- Charlotte man operating sex trafficking enterprise gets life sentence
- Woman pleads guilty in fatal Lenoir stabbing
- Researchers say expect more shark bites off NC this summer
Cox Media Group