BURKE COUNTY, N.C - A high-speed chase in Burke County Wednesday afternoon ended with a car flipping with three people inside.
The crash happened around 3:30 p.m. along Reed Street in Drexel after the chase started
Channel 9's Dave Faherty was there as police took the driver, Mason Melton, into custody.
Police said the chase started because of a fake tag and officers thought the car might be stolen.
The pursuit, which reached speeds over 90 mph, zoomed past a stopped school bus at one point.
Faherty talked to one of the passengers inside the car who said he was just getting a ride and didn't really know Melton.
“Bro, it wasn’t me bro," the passenger said. "We just got picked up for a ride and really didn’t know this dude."
No one was hurt.
Police have not said what charges Melton is facing.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Private school founder gets federal prison term for role in human trafficking
- Worker hurt in explosion, fire at Catawba County plant, firefighters say
- Charlotte defense attorney explains increase in violent crimes
- FORECAST: Near-record lows Wednesday morning; chill sticking around
- 2 boys who escaped Concord development center captured
© 2019 Cox Media Group.