CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Troopers are investigating reports of cars street racing Sunday night on Interstate 85.
The North Carolina Highway Patrol said 911 dispatchers got calls that more than a dozen drivers were racing each other and blocking traffic on southbound I-85 before the Brookshire.
"That's dangerous," resident Tajon Graf said. "Somebody could have gotten hurt, killed, wrecked or anything like that."
One person was driving the wrong way to try to get back on the interstate, troopers said.
Many of those cars sped away when troopers arrived just before midnight.
Troopers caught a 22-year-old man driving a blue Subaru and gave him a ticket, they said.
Investigators said they caught another driver racing on Saturday night.
Troopers told Channel 9 that they're seeing more racing on that part of I-85 because the asphalt gives drivers better traction. The risks when street racing include losing your license, your car and possibly your life, troopers said.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Highway patrol investigating drag racing on I-85
- Woman steals crash victim's wallet, buys beer and cigarettes
- Dallas officer killed in ambush remembered by family in Charlotte
- NC deputy suspended after social media comments on 2 men shot, killed by police
- Florida woman driven from home after snakes start coming out of walls
Cox Media Group