• Homeowner suffers third-degree burns in overnight house fire

    Updated:

    NEWLAND, N.C. - Firefighters said one person had to be airlifted to a burn center after an overnight fire in Avery County.

    Just before midnight, 60 firefighters from six different fire departments arrived at the home on Pineola Street in Newland, N.C. and found the homeowner suffering from third-degree burns.

    He had to be flown to Duke University Medical Center and there was no word on his condition Tuesday morning.

    His two teenage sons were able to get out of the house unharmed. Family members told Eyewitness News that the fire started near a wood stove.

    Firefighters are investigating how the fire started.


    Next Up:


  • Headline Goes Here

    Homeowner suffers third-degree burns in overnight house fire

  • Headline Goes Here

    Zootastic visitor recalls chaos after large tree fell on wagon

  • Headline Goes Here

    Cam Newton surprises Special Olympics athletes with shopping spree

  • Headline Goes Here

    CMPD gets last chance to raise issue about pay increase

  • Headline Goes Here

    Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge, gives birth to baby boy