HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. - A Huntersville man has been arrested and charged in an insurance fraud scheme after officials said he lied about his wife losing her diamond ring.
Alexander Ortiz Lopez, 39, was charged with insurance fraud and attempting to obtain property by false pretense, both felonies, according to North Carolina Insurance Commissioner Mike Causey.
Lopez is accused of trying to get $23,000 from Liberty Mutual Fire Insurance Co. to replace his wife’s diamond ring, which he said was lost on June 24.
An insurance investigator, who made a surprise visit to Lopez’s house on July 25, saw the ring on his wife’s finger, according to the arrest warrant.
"Insurance fraud affects our economy. Not only does it damage insurance companies, it cheats businesses and consumers, too," Causey said. "This kind of white-collar crime is unacceptable.”
Lopez was arrested on Nov. 18 and is due in Cabarrus County District Court on Dec. 10.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Speed, alcohol factors in crash that killed Concord teen, police say
- 'I knew something was wrong': Mom warns others after son nearly abducted
- Couple got engaged at Walmart hours after staging robbery, police say
- FORECAST: Chance of showers ahead of dry, sunny Thanksgiving
- Slain son of local deputy is Charlotte's 100th homicide victim of 2019
© 2019 Cox Media Group.