HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. - Huntersville police are investigating a fatal crash involving a motorcycle and an SUV Wednesday morning.
The crash happened around 6:30 a.m. on McCoy Road near Mcllwaine Road.
Police said the driver of the SUV, identified as 43-year-old Elizabeth Hernandez, was making a left from McIlwaine Road onto McCoy Road when she turned into the motorcycle’s path.
Investigators said the driver of the motorcycle, identified as 57-year-old Vincent Aufiero, was taken to the hospital, where he later died.
They said Hernandez was taken to the hospital with minor injuries and released.
She was arrested and charged with misdemeanor death by motor vehicle and having no operator's license.
Officials said Twin Trail Road to Hambright Road and Mcllwaine Road from Henderson Hill Road to the intersection of McCoy Road was closed as police investigated the crash.
The road reopened shortly after 9 a.m. Wednesday.
This is an ongoing investigation. Check back with wsoctv.com for more information.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Huntersville police investigating fatal crash involving motorcycle, SUV
- Body of teen recovered day after she fell into Gaston County river
- Grieving NC mom denied Build-A-Bear Pay Your Age promotion; CEO apologizes
- FORECAST: Warm, but comfortable weather expected before humidity returns
- No criminal charges against wife in shooting death of Meck County deputy
© 2019 Cox Media Group.