HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. - The southbound lanes of Interstate 77 in Huntersville were shut down Wednesday during the evening rush hour after a deadly crash.
Huntersville police responded to the scene near the Gilead Road exit. Chopper 9 Skyzoom flew over the interstate and could see traffic backed up for miles.
Officials said drivers should expect major delays and avoid the area.
Paramedics said one person died in the crash. Another person was seriously hurt.
It's unclear what caused the accident. No other details have been released.
Check back for updates on this developing story.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Statesville mother charged with murder weeks after infant son dies
- 1 dead, another injured after car slams into tree in west Charlotte
- Large water main break floods busy street outside South End
- FORECAST: Oppressive conditions see heat index values above 100 degrees
- Special CMS board meeting set on suspended superintendent's contract
© 2019 Cox Media Group.