IREDELL COUNTY, N.C. - The North Carolina Highway Patrol are investigating after someone was hit and killed on Interstate 77 in Iredell County Wednesday night.
The crash happened around 7 p.m. on I-77 southbound, near Interstate 40 in Statesville. The roadway was shut down for hours as troopers investigated the scene.
Channel 9 spoke with drivers who said they were traveling in the southbound lanes Wednesday evening when they noticed traffic starting to come to a stop. They said they saw a jeep and a semi truck on the side of the highway.
"It was kind of something you don't see very often, and it just takes you back and makes you think about things a little differently," witness Ryan Davidson said.
>> Reading this story in our app? The new "Follow the Lead" feature allows you to tap the blue tag indicated with a '+' to subscribe to alerts on the very latest breaking news updates.
The victim's identity has not been released yet and it is unknown if anyone will be charged.
This is an ongoing investigation. Check back with wsoctv.com for more information.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Police investigating after person shot multiple times near southwest Charlotte motel
- 'Bathroom bill' sponsor Bishop wins District 9 GOP primary
- 1 airlifted, 17 injured after bus carrying preschoolers overturns in Stanly Co.
- FORECAST: Another clear, sunny day in the 70s on tap for the Charlotte area
- NC high schools sell bracelets to raise money for 'Riley Howell Foundation'
© 2019 Cox Media Group.