ROWAN COUNTY, N.C. — Motorists along Interstate 85 in Rowan County were stuck in traffic for hours after a tractor-trailer became disabled in the middle of the interstate early Thursday.
State troopers told Channel 9 that the incident happened in the northbound lanes of I-85, near Lane Street, around 5:30 a.m.
Troopers told Channel 9 that the FedEx truck veered off the road and when the driver eventually steered back onto the interstate, the brakes locked up, blocking all the northbound lanes.
Crews had to cut the brakes from the vehicle before being able to remove it from the interstate.
No injuries were reported, but the situation caused miles of traffic backups.
The lanes were not expected to reopen until 10 a.m. but Channel 9 saw traffic slowly starting to move around 8:30 a.m.
Check back with wsoctv.com for updates on this story.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Drivers stranded for hours after disabled FedEx tractor-trailer blocks I-85
- Second man accused of killing Charlotte Uber driver to face judge
- Beachgoers form human chain to pull people out of water at Emerald Isle
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Thursday forecast outlook
- Woman robbed, raped after leaving club wants attackers 'caged like animals'
Cox Media Group