CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A man broke into a woman’s north Charlotte home, climbed into bed with her and sexually assaulted her Saturday morning, according to a Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department report.
The terrifying crime happened at the Maple Run Apartments on Canterwood Drive.
Channel 9’s Susanna Black spoke with the victim’s son, who said the suspect forced his way in through their locked sliding glass door. The family isn’t sure how long the man had been in bed with the woman before she woke up, but they said he ran out through the glass door as soon as she became aware of what was going on.
Neighbor Cesar Lopez said he’s not surprised the crime happened in the complex. A man attempted to break in through his sliding glass door three years ago.
“It’s like every day. I’m concerned about this situation,” Lopez explained. “It’s sad just to hear that and know what they're going through now, and I think when you see something like that you should learn and try to be extra careful.”
CMPD crime maps show nine burglaries happened within a mile of Maple Run Apartments over the last year.
Police said they are still searching for the suspect involved.
>> Reading this story in our app? The new "Follow the Lead" feature allows you to tap the blue tag indicated with a '+' to subscribe to alerts on the very latest breaking news updates.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Arrest made months after slaying of beloved Charlotte gas station clerk
- Toddler in critical condition after found in family's backyard swimming pool
- Man killed, wife and daughter severely injured in SC boat crash
- FORECAST: First day of fall won't feel like it; highs to climb near 90 degrees
- Still no arrests after 2 killed, 9 others injured in nightclub shooting
© 2019 Cox Media Group.