CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A beloved Garinger High School student and basketball player became the city's 53rd homicide Thursday morning, when he died days after being shot inside a car in southeast Charlotte.
Steven Black, 20, is charged with murder in Dionte' Hunter's shooting death. He was taken into custody Thursday and originally charged with attempted murder, but the charge was upgraded Thursday afternoon.
Investigators told Channel 9 that Hunter and a female passenger were supposed to meet someone Monday night on McMullen Way, and someone opened fire into the car.
Hunter was shot in the head. The female passenger managed to bring the car to a safe stop on Monroe Road.
Hunter was taken to the hospital, where he died Wednesday night.
He was starting point guard for the school and would have been starting his senior year next month.
Benfrank McManus lived next door to Hunter's family and enjoyed talking to the 17-year-old.
"He was polite. He was real polite. He wasn't the type of person to be starting nothing or something like that. He was real polite," McManus said.
Eyewitness News reporter Glenn Counts spoke to Hunter's stepmother, who didn't want to go on camera but only said, "We lost our baby."
Police are still trying to determine the motive behind the shooting.
Black will have his first court appearance on Friday.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 50 firefighters battle 2-alarm fire at multimillion-dollar SouthPark home
- 17-year-old boy critically injured after being shot inside car
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Tuesday forecast outlook
- Man arrested days after jumping onto train to escape police
- Councilwoman receives death threats following Trump comments
- VIDEO: Eclipse could drain Union County solar farm of energy
© 2018 Cox Media Group.