YORK COUNTY, S.C. - Authorities in York County have arrested a juvenile who allegedly made threats toward a school in the county on social media.
The York Police Department was called Wednesday night and alerted to a post made on social media that referenced someone making threats involving a school in the York School District.
A school resource officer was made aware of the alleged threat and was able to identify the juvenile who made the post, police said.
With help from the York County Sheriff’s Office and Homeland Security, officers went to the juvenile’s home and arrested that person. They were then taken to a juvenile detention facility.
Officers wanted to stress to parents that due to the quick response and arrest, there is no credible threat that students or parents in the York School District should be concerned with.
The police department said, “In light of recent incidents involving schools in our country, any perceived threat towards schools or students is taken seriously and will be dealt with accordingly. The York Police Department, the York County Sheriff’s Office, and the York School District take these matters very seriously and work diligently to ensure the safety of all students and staff.”
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Rabbit hunters find remains of woman missing for 10 years
- Man shot outside uptown club following unofficial CIAA party, police say
- Juvenile arrested for allegedly making threat against York Co. school
- WATCH: Vicki Graf's Thursday forecast outlook
- Juvenile arrested after social media threats made against Southwest MS
- Rev. Graham's body returns to Charlotte after Washington honor
© 2018 Cox Media Group.