CHARLOTTE, N.C. — A local cadaver search dog is headed to Houston.
Boss, a 4-year-old German shepherd, is going to work with FEMA and a drone operator to locate bodies in submerged vehicles.
The dog’s owner said it will be a sad and challenging mission.
“The only solace is it is going to give closure to families who don’t know where their loved ones are,” Debbie Lange said.
The German shepherd is specially trained to bark and stand up when he picks up the odors from a decomposing body.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Southern gasoline pipeline to shut down due to Harvey
- Caldwell Co. mother seeks answers after daughter left to die following party
- 'Two punk' TV shoplifters held in death of 81-year-old Sears worker
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Thursday forecast outlook
- Huge asteroid on track to pass close to Earth overnight
- Police say argument led to Charlotte's 61st homicide of 2017
Cox Media Group