CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Man's first step on the moon remains a vivid memory for some, but for retired astronaut and Charlotte resident Joan Higginbotham, it changed the orbit of her entire life.
Higginbotham was the third black woman in space and worked for NASA for 20 years.
As the world celebrates the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission, Higginbotham is also looking forward to the next steps.
Watch the video above as she shares her reflection on the historic moment and her thoughts on NASA's future.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Charlotte woman, boyfriend murdered while traveling in Canada
- Former employee charged with embezzling $200K+ from Charlotte nonprofit
- CMS superintendent out: Clayton Wilcox will resign after two years on job
- FORECAST: Heat advisory in effect for Charlotte region
- Why this brewery put its South End building on the market
© 2019 Cox Media Group.