BURKE COUNTY, N.C. - The soaring temperatures and high humidity have high schools across the foothills taking precautions this evening.
Schools in Burke, Catawba and Caldwell counties have already changed practice times for football and soccer games.
>> In the video at the top of this page, Channel 9’s Dave Faherty found out how coaches and athletic trainers are keeping students safe in this heat wave.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Amber Alert issued for 3-year-old abducted after woman shot to death
- Man, 2 women found dead following shooting at Hickory apartment
- Accused gang member escapes prison, takes Lyft to family’s Shelby home
- FORECAST: Heat index of at least 100 degrees; afternoon storms likely
- Dirt biker killed in crash, man charged after group of riders attack woman
© 2019 Cox Media Group.